Welcome to the very first installment of the “Ugly Dog Blog”. Here I hope to add some interesting content for customers, friends, or just other folks that enjoy some of the same things that I do. I’m not an experienced blogger, so I imagine there will be a bit of a learning curve as I learn the ropes but I hope to have fun and meet some new friends along the way. With millions of blogs floating around the web, and a share of those being written by knife makers and leather workers with loads of great content and topics, what in the world can I hope to add to the mix? Well, here is a few of the topics I will be covering and ideas that I have floating around;
- Knife-related topics including: reviews of other independent knife maker’s knives, tutorials, knives use and maintenance, etc.
- Leather-related topics like: tutorials, interview with a well-know leather worker and designer for companies like Filson, and Eddie Bauer.
- Hunting, fishing, canoeing, wilderness camping, bushcraft, and a slew of other topics that may be of interest.
- Knife designs and previews of upcoming products.
- Discussion of the amazing GWHP (German Wirehaired Pointer) breed. A breed that, until I found my dog Buddy, I did not really know that much about. I’ve found that they are incredibly intelligent, sweet, athletic, and among the toughest breeds out there. If you are a bird hunter, you would be hard pressed to pick a better breed. More on that later…
Of course, being the only employee at Ugly Dog Blades means I wear a lot of hats: janitor, machine maintenance, product research and design, marketing, web design, accounting, shipping, quality control, customer service, etc. That doesn’t leave a lot of time to keep a blog going. So… My only other option is to ask for help. It occurred to me that Buddy, my German Wirehair Pointer and all around goof-ball, really hasn’t done much to help with the business other than contribute his “name” and his ugly mug for the logo, maybe he could help. So from time to time, he may step in and make a blog entry when I am otherwise disposed. Well that’s it for now. With the intro out of the way, the next entry will be something much more interesting 🙂 I will leave you with a passage that sums up how I aspire to live my life and what I hope will manifest itself into Ugly Dog Blades.“and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one. 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12